Sunday, April 22, 2012

Some Answers About the Change

There are so many questions that educators have about the Common Core Standards. Since I have a background in Mathematics, I will start with some questions that I, myself, had at first. What are the changes and why are they being made? How is this change going to be better than changes of the past? I have linked a video that specifically talks about Mathematics. No, it will not answer all of your questions, but at least it will get you thinking about some of the basics.


I have learned so much in the years that I have been teaching that children learn at different rates. With the change to Common Core, students will be able to have more time to master skills that are being taught. As a teacher, I know that there is not enough time in the day, to teach all the things that students need to learn, but hopefully with the change, students and teachers alike will feel less pressure to acquire all the information that is coming their way.


There are so many mathematical concepts that in the past have not been developmentally appropriate for the ages that were required to learn the skills. Some standards have moved to and from grade levels in order to address the time when things are introduced, retaught, and assessed. 


The questions will probably never stop coming so keep them coming and I will try to address as many I can with the support of videos, articles and common core professionals.


No comments:

Post a Comment